Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Speed

Where is everyone going? why the hurry? What's the rush? This has been going on far too long.

A few weeks ago I saw a semi truck blow past me like a category 5 hurricane. He swerved into my lane, braked hard, and then I watched a van spin out in front of him in a puff of smoke.

A few days later, while turning into my neighborhood street, I saw an overturned car on the corner curb. An OVERTURNED car! How is this possible? Speed limits are only 35 mph. How can a traffic accident in a subdivision result in an overturned car? People were gawking through the windshield. Another car was stalled nearby, crunched by the impact.

Or how about the driver of a Civic that passed within inches of my front bumper trying to make the freeway exit? There was plenty of space behind me. What's the rush? Besides the hospital, where are these people going? It's nuts.

The biggest danger is the ocean tankers. I'm talking about the bullies. Pilots of those monsters look down from the crow's nest of their ships at all smaller dinghies no larger then their stateroom portals. Or in terms of SUVs, no bigger then their stainless spinning wheel scythes. They are hugged by leather seats and ensconced in wood trim cockpits while they glow the ends of their filtered smokes with each pull. Their windows are down, their moon roofs open, their sub-woofer rattles my windshield. They thrust into my lane and catapult into the next, flicking ashes from their dashes. I smell the raw exhaust from their acceleration.

They're in a hurry.

...dave
“I think God's going to come down and pull civilization over for speeding.” - Stephen Wright quotes

0 comments: