Monday, May 31, 2010

The Flying Biscuit


The Flying Biscuit
Originally uploaded by daveterry
Why do people talk so loudly at their tables? Do they really think everyone is interested in their conversations?

I must be getting old because I simply can't find a quiet restaurant anymore.

When the waiter first sat us inside, the forced water through the capuchino machine sounded like it was in my ear. Ruth had to scream at me to ask if we could sit outside.

But the five women at the outside table next to us complained endlessly about their relationships. Funny thing was, as each one groaned on, no one was listening. They talked over each other. No one responded in a thoughtful way. In fact, after an especially long winded complaint, the others jumped in simultaneously: "Men are like that."

We are? All of us? Really? Me too?

At one point in the meal three fire trucks punctured their conversation and deflated their lungs. There was a very brief pause. But soon after they were back at it again.

I looked over at Ruth and asked how she was doing. She screamed: "Can't hear myself think!" She wasn't saying much because she was afraid of losing her voice.

I believe that there is a market for quiet restaurants. I know there is money in it. I would pay more. Even though we used a 50% off coupon I don't think it was worth it.

I think the place is called "The Flying Biscuit" because I'm allowed to hurl them at other customers.

...dave
Quiet restaurants are an endangered species. - dave terry

0 comments: