Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Old Town Alpharetta


Old Town Alpharetta
Originally uploaded by daveterry
Last Monday we took a walk around the old town Alpharetta. We had a great time. I found this interesting building and decided to sketch it.

I have a little three legged stool that is as light as a feather. I sat it off to the side of the walkway. I wedge my metal ruler into the sketchbook and have glued magnets on the bottom of my watercolors. I just suspend them using the strong magnets off to the side of my sketchbook. I look like I know what I'm doing but it's a sham.

People came by, some stop and look. Others look over their shoulder as they pass. And some fathers with their children stopped to watch.

"See, he's drawing that building."

I was pleased that he could tell what I was drawing. I had doubts myself. But after hearing him tell his daughter, I gained a little more confidence.

Another little girl and her father came by. She was leading a small scruffy dog. I actually wanted to stop what I was sketching and draw him. He was a great subject. I told her she could sketch her dog.

But she looked at me like I was some crazy man.

I went back to my sketching.

...dave
I take my children everywhere, but they always find their way back home. - Robert Orben quotes

5 comments:

WWendi said...

Hi Dave,
I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog. This post in particular made me smile.

That little girl may have looked at you like you were nuts, but I bet that after she got home (or at some point) she made (or will make)a drawing of her dog, anyway. I think you planted healthy little seed. Awesome!!!

The use of a metal ruler and the magnets on the bottom of your watercolors intrigue me. I would REALLY LOVE to see a photo and/or a sketch of your sketching set up in use.

Also, I just discovered you other blogs (Quotes, Poetry, Sketches & Words). I find it all very inspirational. I especially like the "About" post, it really helped put everything into persepctive for me.

I like your style, too! Thank you so much for sharing.

Sandra Mosley said...

Aloha Dave,

Have been enjoying your blog.

I agree with Wendi that you've planted a healthy seed in the mind of that little girl. I would love to see your sketching set up in use too.

Keep on sketching and sharing. It's appreciated.

daveterry said...

Okay, my next post will include a picture of my set up, such as it is. Very simple...really!

Thanks for your all your comments and feedback.

Happy sketching.

...dave

Debo Boddiford said...

You are getting brave to sketch/paint in public! I have sketched (no paint) a few times in downtown Savannah...people are always curious, but I am still self-conscious about it. I also need to figure out a nice way to tell people to QUIT smoking while watching me sketch!!

daveterry said...

The smokers are the worst. "Go ahead and smoke if you must" I feel like saying "just to exhale!" Hah.
...dave